If you’re on Instagram, you’ve likely seen that smoothies and smoothie bowls are all the rage among wellness influencers. I’ll admit it, I love smoothies and they are a really great way to nourish the body, but you need to be careful with how you’re making your smoothie and/or where you’re buying it from.
I believe that balancing your blood sugar is key to healthy living. To keep your blood sugar stable, I recommend eliminating all processed sugars, limiting your daily fruit intake and combining your foods (i.e. healthy carbohydrate + healthy fat, more on food combining to come). Yes, fruit is healthy but it is loaded with natural sugars (and put simply, sugar is still sugar). Plus, fruit has a fairly high fructose content which, when we consume too much fructose, it is stored as fat.
As per the advice of Be Well By Kelly, I like to stick to 1/4-1/2 cup of fruit in a smoothie, which is equivalent to about 1/2 banana. Making this adjustment was big for me, because I love fruit but I feel so much better! You should try too. It will be an adjustment and you’re smoothie will not be as sweet, but remember that making this simple change will have a really nourishing effect for your body.
Obviously, enjoying a smoothie with a higher fruit content is better than drinking a can of soda but just be aware of how much sugar you’re enjoying, even if its natural. If you’re used to a sweeter smoothie, ease into this more veggie based option. Reduce the fruit content in your smoothie by 1/4 cup each day until you get to that 1/4-1/2 cup limit. This will likely make this healthy change more sustainable and enjoyable.
Here’s my favourite all green smoothie, it’s delicious and low sugar (no fruit required, aside from lemon juice). Note: in this smoothie, lemon is a key ingredient for taste – it cuts the bitterness and adds flavour to this 100% veggie smoothie.
ALL GREEN SMOOTHIE (PLANT BASED + GLUTEN FREE)
- 1 cup filtered water or coconut water
- Fresh ginger to taste (I usually put 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated ginger)
- Juice of 1/2 to 1 whole lemon
- 1/4 avocado
- 2 cups spinach
- 1/2 cucumber
- 1/4 cup parsley
- 1/4 cup cilantro (optional, but recommended)
- 4-6 ice cubes
- 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed
- 1 tablespoon hemp hearts or 1/2 scoop plant-based protein powder of choice
- 1/2 frozen banana (optional)
- Simply combine all ingredients in a high speed blender and blend until smooth.
- If you like smoothie bowls (recommended), top with 2 teaspoons cacao nibs, 1 teaspoon bee pollen, 1 teaspoon coconut flakes or any of your other whole, superfood toppings.
- Enjoy + remember to chew (even though its liquid).
- I would love to hear from you! Please let me know how you’ve been enjoying this recipe by commenting below or tagging me in your photos using #blissfullyrebecca